What I'm Most Thankful For

For the last, oh, 25 days or so, Facebook has been overwhelmed with daily posts about all of the stuff that people are thankful for. Family. Friends. Health. Good music. A warm November day. Sunshine. Pie. Puppies. Babies. A Colts win. Democracy. The list goes on. And on. And on.

I am thankful for these things too. Duh. Of course I am. We would all be fools to not be thankful for the things in our lives that are obviously God's blessings bestowed on us and our families and friends. And we are not fools. [Not all of us anyways.]

But, what I think just about all of us fail to be thankful for on a daily basis, or ever, is God's help in our lives. For some, this may be because they simply do not recognize God in their lives. That's fine. For others, it may be because they do not thing to ask God for help. Those people struggle through it alone. And for the rest of us, it is probably because although we are constantly asking God for help, we are unable to see, or hear, or feel that help when it arrives. And if we don't notice it arriving, we can't be thankful and we certainly can't say "thank you, God."

So this Thanksgiving, and as we move into the Christmas season, I am on a mission to see God's help in my life. Because as much as I need my friends and family, my little girl, food, my job, my house and car, good music, and heck, even pie, what I really need and truly could not live without is God's help. It was God's help that enabled me to continue putting one foot after the other when my mom died. It was God's help that deployed the airbag at the right time when was in that head on collision a few years ago. It was God's help that let modern medicine intervene during my labor with Audrey. And it is God's help that is now giving me strength to push through perhaps the most stressful month I've had in a long time.

If I can recognize and be thankful, truly thankful, for God's help in my life on a daily basis, then I will never feel alone and I will never despair. So, God, please help me to recognize your help in my life. And thank you, God, in advance.

Kate


In memory of my Grandpa Bob, a person of great faith, who passed away on Friday. After his only great grandchild  (who may or may not be my daughter) jumped on his hospice bed. Okay, not right after. A few days after.



Comments

Popular Posts