A Weekend in the Life of

Weekends come in two types around here. The ones where Blake has to work. And the ones where he doesn't. I'm sure I do not need to elaborate on which I prefer. Or why. But I will anyways.

The ones where Blake has to work start earlier.
The ones where he doesn't start later.

The ones where Blake has to work start with Audrey crying and whining for over an hour.
The ones where he doesn't start with us all snuggling and laughing in bed together and then enjoying breakfast and playtime in our pjs.

The ones where Blake has to work find me chasing Toby under the bed with a rogue sock, or toy, or crayon, or hundred dollar bill.
The ones where Blake doesn't find me standing by while the man does all the chasing.

The ones where Blake has to work involve me going to the grocery store with Audrey in tow, sometimes twice.
The ones where he doesn't involve either a family outing or a solo trip, either occurring in half the time of the alternative.

The ones where Blake has to work involve me wracking my brain to come up with activities to keep Audrey busy and happy.
The ones where he doesn't involve seemingly effortless and endless things to do.

The ones where Blake has to work involve me taking Audrey and Toby solo for a 2.5 mile walk around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Audrey crying for 2.4 miles of the walk.
The ones where Blake doesn't do not involve questionable activities like taking Audrey and Toby solo for a 2.5 mile walk around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Audrey crying for 2.4 miles of the walk.

The ones where Blake has to work involve me trying to find time to do the laundry, fold clothes, put clothes away, making food for everyone, cleaning the kitchen, all while exhausted and exasperated.
The ones where he doesn't involve me being able to do all of those things without the frustration.

The ones where Blake has to work leave me counting the minutes and seconds until he comes home and wishing that Monday would hurry up already.
The ones where he doesn't leave me happy and looking forward to the next weekend we spend together.

The ones where Blake has to work simply mean that I know, on a small scale, what it must feel like to (1) be a stay-at-home mom or (2) a single parent.
The ones where Blake doesn't remind me why we are in this family endeavor together.

This past weekend, like all weekends of any variety with a two-year old (TWO IN JUST TWO WEEKS!!!!), involved fun and frustration, laughter and tears, peace and chaos. Blake worked, so the frustration, tears and chaos were a bit elevated. But, like always, we survived. I love my little bug so much and even when I am just waiting for her daddy to get home so that I can pee in peace or eat my own snack without little fingers poking into it, her smile lights up my life. Shoot, sometimes even her frown lights up my life. And when Audrey's not pulling her weight in lighting up my life? Toby takes over.


Not exactly doing it for me at Mutt Strut... loved all the woof woofs, but had a hard time appreciating that we could only walk one way on the track.



This one though? The most perfect angel dog of all angel dogs in town. Rocked the Mutt Strut. Not that it's a competition, but he won.

Love them both.

Comments

Popular Posts