Gs and Great Gs

It's been almost 5 years since my mom was hit and killed by a drunk driver while we were cycling with a group of friends. I don't want to recount the entire story or legal aftermath and have tried to forget many of the details of both... but one of the first things I know I said out loud when I realized that I'd never see her or talk to her again was "I still need my mom."  Even though I was 24 at the time, moved out of my parents' house, and financially on my own, that statement (more of a wailing cry really) was true then and is still true today.  No matter how old we are, we always, always still need our moms (and dads). 

My mom and dad.
Whenever I start to feel bad for myself about losing my mom so early in my life, I try to put it all in perspective and remind myself that I am lucky.  I was lucky to have a great mom for as many years as I did.  Some people never have a mother-figure, not to mention a great one with whom they share a bond.  I'm lucky because I have great memories of my mom and because she left behind artwork that is a constant reminder of her creative spirit and positive outlook on life.  I'm lucky because my mom still believed in the hand-written letter and she wrote me weekly when I was in college and living in St. Louis for a year.  I'm lucky because I'm a recovering pack-rat and I saved all of her letters. 

 I can't wait to share the memories, artwork and letters with Audrey as she gets older.

I'm also lucky, and so is Audrey, because the three parents Blake and I still have with us are wonderful.  We also have a total of five of our grandparents still alive and well.  That means that Audrey has three grandparents and five great-grandparents who will know her and love her.  I'm still working on uploading the pictures with the other great-grandparents, but here's what we have so far!

With Daddy, MiMoo, and Great Grandparents Borton

With Grandpa Bob

With MiMoo and cousin, Chloe
With Great Grandma Holly
With Grandpa Bob and Great Grandparents Bob and Rita in Cincinnati!

With MiMoo, Poppy and Chloe


So lucky!

Comments

Popular Posts