Mamma and the Twins Train for a {Half} Marathon

And its painful.  And embarrassing.  For all involved.  And by "all" I mean - me, myself, both boobs (but especially the left thanks to a clogged duct or something), Toby, and the innocent folks (and the not-so-innocent-looking-guy on a mini-motorcycle) on the Towpath. 

Let me back up.  Before Audrey was born, I signed up to run the the half portion of the Monumental Marathon on November 5th.  I've run this race before and it is a small-ish event that takes a nice route through downtown Indianapolis, up Mass Ave, and into some of the near-northside neighborhoods before the final jaunt down Meridian to the finish at the state government center.  I signed up to give myself a goal after falling out of shape while pregnant. You can sign up here.

I am following a 12-week training program put out by a guy named Hal Higdon.  He's some kind of long-distance running guru and his novice program has gotten me through three previous half marathon's and I expect that it will again this time.  I'm one week in, ran 11.9 miles (with 4 of those being consecutive) and averaged, uh, 12.5 minute miles.  Not super impressive distance or speed BUT, keeping it in perspective, I ran more in this one week than I've run in the last year combined.  I'm also happy to report that my favorite running pants fit comfortably again and my lungs and legs feel like they should both during and after a run. 

"So, Kate, it sounds like you're off to a good start. What's painful and eembarrassing?" you ask.

One word - boobs. Oh holy boobs... running... cue pain and embarrassment.

I'm happily breastfeeding Audrey.  I love that my body can do this amazing thing and nourish my baby.  I'm proud that I didn't give up when it was difficult.  I love how she tickles my side while nursing.  I find joy in knowing that she needs me like she needs no one else.  I love that she can nurse while we're both half asleep.  Pumping at work is a way to stay connected to her even when we're apart.  I hope to continue breastfeeding until we are both ready to stop.

All that being said, I wish I could leave the amazing, wonderful, full, baby-nourishing machines at home when I head out for a run.  They are just too much.  And my current sports bras are not up for the challenge of containing them.  Hence the pain. And the embarrassment.  Unfortunately for the aforementioned folks (innocent and not-so-innocent) on the Towpath, the embarrassment didn't set in until AFTER I'd run over 5 miles early in the week and caught a glimpse of myself running in the store windows at the Safeway grocery store down the street.  Needless to say, I walked the rest of the way home and did 4 miles on the treadmill today.

Next run? To Lululemon for a Ta Ta Tamer.

If you saw me on the Towpath.  Please accept my apologies.  It won't happen again.

Comments

Popular Posts