Sisterhood: Part I

A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much
not ourselves - a special kind of double. 
Toni Morrison 

{In no particular order, I will be writing posts in honor of my best friends, the sisters I never had.}

Well, we did it! Lauren and I completed the Monumental Half Marathon in Indianapolis in 2 hours and 21 minutes last Saturday. Not my best time, but not my worst. It was, however, Lauren's best time. It was actually her first time completing 13.1. Every few minutes after we passed the 10 mile marker, she reminded me "now THIS is as far as I've ever run." It was cool to share "a first" and each step of the race with her.

Still smiling after our joint marathon!
We've shared a lot of firsts and a lot of steps over the years. We've been friends since high school. We were teammates on the JV and varsity soccer teams. We hung out together on the weekends. We were classmates in things like chemistry (which I would have failed without her) and AP bio (which I think I aced on my own). We sat in the front row of Mr. Dauner's history class and without even trying, wrapped him around our little fingers. We had each other's backs and vowed to never let a boy interfere with that. We were student council co-presidents our senior year. We told one another when we were wrong. (Well, she told me when I was wrong. She's rarely, if ever, wrong.) We were roommates for two years while I was in law school and she in med school at UC. She was a bridesmaid in my wedding and most recently, agreed to run a half marathon with me and become Audrey's godmother. We have plans, big plans, for the firsts we will share and the steps we will take together in the future.
  

Lauren is many things I'm not. I'm many things that she's not. The things I'm not, she is. The things she's not, I am. That's why our friendship works. That's why she is a sister I never had.

Kate



Comments

Popular Posts