Thank you, and you, and you...

Thanksgiving, like many special days and events in my life, is bittersweet. The sweet is obvious. The bitter, though, that's more complicated. Thanksgiving was always the holiday that our family celebrated at our house, with my mom spearheading the event. Thanksgiving was also usually a dual celebration, as my mom's birthday always fell during the same week.

My mom would have been 57 today.

But she's not. And as I remember her today and wish that she were still here to celebrate holidays and every day with us, it can feel ridiculous to give thanks. Impossible to appreciate anything when there is so much to be sad about.

But, it is possible. It was possible for my mom. And, that's how she tried to raise me. That's how she did raise me - to give thanks always. Even in the days following her death, when my sadness was the deepest, I spouted thanks. Thanks to those who rushed to be by my side. Thanks to those who sent flowers and cards. Thanks to the emergency responders. Thanks to the courts. Thanks to those who still, five years later, asked about how I'm doing without my mom. And in giving thanks, I found, and still find, hope.


This year, I have more to be thankful for than ever. I have a wonderful husband, a beautiful baby girl who is the light of my life, a funny puppy who loves me no matter what, a generous and kind extended family, a job that challenges and rewards me, friends new and old, a roof over my head, good health... the list goes on and on.

This holiday season, in honor of my mom, it is my goal to give thanks daily. Thanks to those people in my life who deserve it and to God who makes all things possible. So, thank you for reading.

Kate

Comments

  1. This brings tears to my eyes. Happy holidays Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful! You are such a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts