Out of the Kettle

I'm officially 36 weeks along.

That's 66% or 2/3 of a year (my mom is smiling down from Heaven to see that I finally figured out fractions).

252 days.

8 months.

And, in homage to one of my favorite Broadway numbers... three-hundred, sixty-two thousand, eight-hundred and eighty minutes; three-hundred, sixty-two thousand, eight-hundred and eighty moments so dear.

It's also a bittersweet end in sight to this pregnancy - in just a few short weeks it will all be over. 

Though I am super excited for that day to come and cannot wait to meet this new life that's been punching me in the bladder all afternoon, I'm a little sad to see it come to an end.  For the most part, I've really enjoyed being pregnant.  It's had its up (chucks) and downs.  It's had its pains (sciatica) and its pleasures (ice cream whenever and the Big Mac phase).  But so does will parenthood, making the end of pregnancy really just an out of the kettle and into the fire experience.

But even when I'm not feeling so hot (who can forget weeks 4-16?) or when I wake up with daggers twisting in my calf, I've still always had a subtle feeling of happiness that makes the discomfort worth it.  I've tried to keep the complaining to a minimum and have made an effort to let people know that I feel lucky.  I've tried to be positive to my girlfriends who haven't had children yet because I hope that they someday go into pregnancy feeling only joy and that they can feel the same way I've felt for the last 8 months. 

Babies are such a miracle and being able to be pregnant and feel a little life growing inside only adds to the amazement I have at how God created us. Most women are only pregnant a small handful of times in their lives, and since I don't plan on being the next Michelle Duggar, my months, days, weeks, minutes and moments of being pregnant may be 1/2 or 2/3 over (see Mom, I really can do math).  So, despite the heavy feeling in my gut (literally) and my doctor's comment that "baby could come any time now and be just fine" - I'm going to keep enjoying every minute, every moment, of being pregnant.

And then, I plan to move on to enjoying every minute, every moment so dear, of being a mom so fast that I don't even have time to miss the kettle.

Kate

Comments

  1. Okay, so I read your "Wasted Tears" post and I was laughing at all the crying, and now i'm crying reading about smiling down from heaven! oh goodness, that's life, so backwards! You are going to make a great mommy!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts