Rain, rain go away...

I went to a week-long overnight summer camp every year when I was in middle school and two years in a row, we had to spend a part of a night in a disgusting old basement because of storms and tornadoes.  A lot of kids cried and wanted to go home. I though it was kind of fun.

It rained on my wedding day.  Though it was only for about 2.5 minutes, it just happened to be the 2.5 minutes during which I needed to walk from the parish center, outside, and into the church.  No biggie.  I think I had an umbrella, but was too excited to care about a few raindrops. 

This past winter was terrible.  I think we had snow and ice on our driveway from November until the beginning of March, I had to buy a kind of ugly maternity coat that wasn't very warm, and I scraped ice off of my car 100 times.  Letting Toby out to go potty meant then chasing him around the house to dry him off every single time he went out and he got almost no walks.  Again, no biggie.  I had plenty to do indoors.

It has rained just about every single day this month.  April 2011 has officially tipped the scale as one of the rainiest Aprils ever recorded in Indiana and it could take the top prize in the next few days.  There are flood watches across the state and we've heard storm/tornado sirens more in the last 4 weeks than I think I've ever heard them in my life.  Sure, the grass and trees are green, but its all too water-logged to enjoy.

In years, even months past, I would have just shrugged my shoulders and said "oh well!"  Sure, I would feel badly for people really affected by the weather (farmers, people hit by flooding and tornadoes, people without shelter, golfers), but I would just get over it and move on to the next indoor activity... but not this rain-soaked April.  I'm pissed off.  All I want to do every morning and evening is take my little dog and bowling ball belly for a walk around the block.  I want to get out of the house that is becoming cramped with baby gear and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine.  I want to sit on my front porch with Blake and watch the kids next door conduct a javelin tournament on their bikes in the street.  But no, I can't.  It's raining. AGAIN.  And taking Toby out in the rain now means cleaning the entire house, mud-stained towels, rugs and sofas, and a stinky dog because Lord knows I can't chase him anywhere.  And even if it's not raining, like at this current moment, it is too cold and too windy to really enjoy being outside. 

Maybe it's because I'm so anxious and excited about Sprout arriving and I have nothing else to complain about.  Maybe its because I didn't get to take a warm-weather vacation this winter.  Maybe it's because my feet are out-swelling all shoes but flip-flops, including my rain boots. I don't know what it is, but for the first time, I feel foiled by the weather.  I am so frustrated at Mother Nature and wonder what I did to make her hate me so much. 

Whatever is fueling my current angst over the 50 feet of rain we've had in the last month, I've always been very tolerant of the weather, even when it wasn't convenient.  But now, I'm ready for a little more hot, dry, and sunny.  And, I think I deserve it. 

Please, rain, don't come back another day,
Kate

Comments

Popular Posts